Saturday, December 09, 2006

Installing Solaris 10 x86 in VMWare


Yesterday, I tried to install Solaris 10 x86 in VMWare virtual machine. Overall, the installation was quite smooth. I faced a little problem in the harddisk partitioning stage. I selected "auto-layout" but failed at first time. Then, I went back one step and try "auto-layout" again and it worked for second time. Maybe there is a bug in the installation.
After installation, the resolution of X window was low. I had to run "/usr/X11/bin/xorgconfig" to config the resolution.
Next, I installed vmware-tool for Solaris. After installed the vmware-tool the NIC is changed from pcn0 to vmxnet0. So, I need to copy the hostname.pcn0 to hostname.vmxnet0 and dhcp.pcn0 to dhcp.vmxnet0.
Then, I tried to run mozilla to check the Internet connection. Unluckly, the browser always report unknown host. I have verified the "/etc/resolve.conf" for DNS setting. It is correct. I also tried to use "dig www.google.com" to resolve the IP address successfully. Finally, from forum of Internet, we had to modify the "/etc/nsswitch.conf" as well.... -.-"

No comments: