Sunday, November 20, 2005

Trojan Found

Two days ago, my sister reported to me that her computer had torjan. On one hand, IE has many many security bugs. On the other hand, she have not done Windows Update for a long long time. I guess the trojan was planted by visiting some bad web-site. Actually, I have told her don't use IE, use Firefox!

The trojan was found by AVG virus scanner. Actually, there are two trojans found: PSW.Generic.BWM and PSW.Generic.DAP. I search them in google, and nothing related found. The infected file are "WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\msd.dll" and "WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\roddll.dll".

For the filename "roddll.dll", I find some information on the Web. There is a trojan named "Troj/Ragrok-A". This trojan creates "WINDOWS\rundll132.exe" and the "roddll.dll" file. Moreover, it also creates a registry entry to execute the "rundll132.exe" in HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run. So, it is not difficult to remove.

For the "msd.dll", there is not much information find. Anyway, I inspect the HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run in the registry, I find a suspect entry: "WINDOWS\system\rundll32.exe". I search on Google by key words "rundll32.exe" and "trojan". I find that rundll32.exe file is located in the c:\windows\System32 folder. In other cases, rundll32.exe is a virus, spyware, trojan or worm! Then, I remove the entry in the registry, remove the "rundll32.exe" in "WINDOWS\SYSTEM", as well as the "msd.dll". Then, reboot. Everything works fine! The AGV scanner doesn't find any trojan.


No comments: