Tuesday, October 18, 2005

Start Hacking the NSLU2

Today, I had annual leave. I had full day to hack my NSLU2 box. After read the wiki of NSLU2-Linux project, I decided to install the Unslung firmware. I followed the user guide and reflashed the firmware of the NSLU2 box. Everything worked fine. :)

Next, I setup the SSH, so I can remotely access the NSLU2 box. Then, PHP, Perl, and other useful utilities have been installed. I also setup a native compilation environment in the NSLU2 box, such that it can compile additional software packages.

Moreover, I tried to setup a cross compilation environment in my old PC which running Debian. This can help me to compile any additional packages faster. However, I fail to compile the cross compilation environment. Then, I read the guide in Wiki carefully, I found that I missed to install some necessary packages (flex, bison, rsync...). After installed the necessary packages, the cross compilation environment was compiled successfully.

No comments: